It’s a Tuesday and one of the most happening places in town continues to be Point State Park and The Three Rivers Arts Festival. One especially great aspect of the festival is the waste receptacles. Artists using reclaimed materials have transformed ordinary waste cans into works of art! 3Rs: the Art of Reuse, Recycle and Repurpose is the name of the exhibit. The artistic receptacles can be enjoyed throughout the festival and in the Cultural District. The festival diverts over
1) With the possibility of rain today, it’s a great time to catch the new Marvel Avengers flick. It’s the #1 box office opening movie of all time according to the Marvel site. (At least until Pittsburgh–filmed, The Dark Knight Rises debuts on July 20th).
2) Popular local groove band the Boogie Hustlers take the stage at the Three Rivers Arts Festival in a free outdoor concert at 8pm.
3) Another cool, free Festival show is J.D. Eicher & The Goodnights, 5:00 pm at the Gateway Center stage.
4) Open Stage night, starts at 9:30, at
1) Some things just go together beautifully – like a good hot dog with Heinz ketchup. A lovely combination is happening in Pittsburgh today, the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra is performing at the Three Rivers Arts Festival. The free concert starts in Point State Park at 6:30 pm.
2) Another great combination today, Joan Osborne + Hartwood Acres = Big Fun. The free show starts at 7:30 pm.
3) Stage AE presents, British rockers, The Cult in an indoor show tonight with Against Me! and the Icarus Line. Doors open
1) Penn Brewery hosts the Pennsylvania Microbrewers Fest with brews from great names like: Penn Brewery, Church Brew Works, East End Brewery, Arsenal Cider, Magic Hat, Rooney’s Ale and many more.
2) Joe Walsh, legendary guitar slinger, brings his Analog Tour to Stage AE tonight. Formerly of the James Gang , he is still a member of the classic rock group, The Eagles. Walsh is also a great rocker in his own right, although he sings, “I’m just an ordinary average guy.”
3) The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust presents the Jazz Live
1) National Doughnut Day tip #1, Dunkin Donuts is giving away a free donut with the purchase of a beverage today!
2) National Doughnut Day tip #2 Krispy Kreme , are there many Krispy Kreme’s left in Pittsburgh, is giving away a free doughnut, no purchase necessary (editor’s note: I don’t know if Prantl’s Bakery is doing anything for Doughnut Day, but their Creme Filled Doughnut will put you in a sugared state of nirvanic bliss!).
3) Take your doughnut sugar buzz down to
1) Private Lives, a new play from The Public is showing the next several weeks at the O’Reilly Theater in the Downtown Cultural District.
2) Not much for the cultural scene? Then “get your (Harley) motor running and head out on the highway” (thank you Steppenwolf) to Bike Nights every Thursday at Station Square. Tonight’s featured band is East Coast Turnaround.
3) Bike Night’s #2. Every Thursday in Market Square starting at 6 pm. Many of the bars and restaurants offer special deals on food and
1) The (Red Hot Chili) Peppers are playing Pittsburgh tonight at 7:30 at the Consol Energy Center.
2) Mr. Small’s Funhouse features Victor Wooten and Anders Osborne in Millvale.
3) Parrots (not Pirates) of the Caribbean are putting on two shows daily at the Aviary. Go see if any of the Parrots are named Captain Jack Sparrow.
4) Catch one of the latest flicks at the newly remodeled Manor Theater on Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill. You can now have a drink and a gourmet snack
Starting soon Entertainment Central Pittsburgh will be giving you five suggested fun things to do each day.