“A Most Wanted Man” is the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s last movie. A smart suspense thriller that keeps the audience entertained without a gunfight every few minutes.
“Dawn of the Planet of the Apes,” the second movie in this rebooted series, is much intelligent than most summer blockbusters but has the same tendency to resort to cinematic mayhem.
Aries Spears, Simone Felice, “Frozen,” “Detroit: Artists in Residence,” Pirates vs. Mets
Ben Folds and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Reuben and the Dark, Asher Roth, “22 Jump Street,” Pirates vs. Reds
1) Bach Beethoven and Brunch Concert series from Pittsburgh’s Citiparks continues today in Mellon Park with Carnegie Brass. Shadyside, 10:30 a.m.- noon.
2) The EQT Three Rivers Regatta continues with numerous activities and attractions. Top events are P-1 Superstock Powerboat Racing from 2 p.m. to dusk. and ABBA tribute band Abbamania performing ABBA’s top hits including: Dancing Queen, Take A Chance on Me, Fernando.
3) Altar Bar features colorful rapper Mickey Avalon in an all ages show starting at 7 p.m.
4) Zoeeper, the movie comedy staring Kevin James
1) Watershed, a high energy rock band from our neighbors to the west, Columbus, Ohio, rocks out Club Cafe. Special guests are Erica Blinn. 8 pm show, South Side.
2) “Captain America : The First Avenger” is running free in Schenley Park. The movie starts at 8pm with a live pre-show concert from The Schrader Steel Band starting at 7 pm. Free (“Thank You” Dollar Bank), Flagstaff Hill.
3) Check out the latest from director, Ridley Scott, the sci-fi movie “Prometheus” at your local
1) Walnut Grill in Shadyside has a new name, new menu, new decor in their same location at the corner of Walnut and Bellefonte (second floor) streets. It is now called Up Modern Kitchen and features tantalizing dishes including: appetizers like Skillet Cornbread and Korean Meatballs. Small plates like Grilled Eggplant, Jambalaya, Alaskan Halibut and Duroc Pork Tenderloin are among the items featured on the main dish side of the menu. You can even order a Black Angus Short Rib Meatloaf Sandwich from the
1) After weekend indulgences, get out on the South Side Riverfront trails for a hike or bike trek. Extra nice sections of the trail are from around Tenth street up to Station Square and the Gateway Clipper Fleet. You can even see the trains rumbling by or lo up at the inc and beautiful greenery of Mount Washington. Before, after or during (the trail actually runs through Station Square) you can stop at Station Square’s promenade for a bite to eat or a cool,
1) It is often said that all good things must end and so it is with the 2012 Three Rivers Arts Festival. Ah, the music, the art, the food. Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers close out the Arts Fest. Hornsby and the Noisemakers play a lively brand of music drawing from many different genres including: rock, jam, folk, and bluegrass. Hornsby played over 100 shows with the Grateful Dead from 1988 until Jerry Garcia’s death in 1995. Come hear their
1) Girl Talk is not just good conversation, it is the name of a rapping, mash-up unit originally from Pittsburgh. At Stage AE you can hear Girl Talk in an outdoor show with two opening acts. Gates open at 7:00pm.
2) Grammy-award winning artist, Melissa Etheridge, is the Pride in the Street headr for Pittsburgh Pride Fest. She will perform on a closed section of Liberty avenue, Downtown, the scene of a large block party celebrating gay pride. Show starts at 8:45 pm.
3) The Smiling