Happy Fourth From Entertainment Central!
1) America’s largest inland regatta, the 2015 EQT Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta, continues today along the banks of and on the Allegheny River near Point State Park. Today’s attractions include the F-1 Powerboat Race Trials, jet ski stunts, Frisbee Dogs, AAA Beach, Monster BMX, sand sculptures, the Wheel of Lights, concessions and vendors, fireworks, food, bands, Cool Off Kid’s Zone and more. The U.S. Air Force Heritage of America concert band headlines the evening with an 8 p.m. show. Hours are noon to 10 p.m. Free. Runs through July 5. Point State Park, Downtown. Boating events have been canceled due to unsafe river conditions.
2) “Kennywood’s open.” No, we don’t mean the local slang usage, we mean the actual amusement park. A popular park attraction, Black Widow, is a high-spinning/swing adventure that gives riders a nice view of the park. For roller coaster enthusiasts, there’s Thunderbolt, Racer, Jack Rabbit, Phantom’s Revenge, Exterminator, and Sky Rocket. If it’s a hot day and you feel like getting a little wet, check out the Log Jammer, Pittsburg(h) Plunge, and Raging Rapids. Kennywood also features thrill rides, classic rides, dark rides (snuggle up with that special someone, hee hee), Kiddie Land, daily entertainment, AND the park’s famous Potato Patch French Fries. Park opens at 10:30 a.m. 4800 Kennywood Blvd., West Mifflin.
3) Sandcastle’s at its mid-summer peak and featuring the “maximum thrill” Dragon’s Den tube ride, where you slide around the rim a while before entering the belly of the beast for a dark mist-filled trip. There’s also the Lightning Express speed slide, where you zoom down a 60-foot open water slide. What a concept! A water amusement thrill that combines fear of heights with fear of water. A real two-fer. Luckily, Sandcastle has good people who look out for us “regular Joes” and make it a fun and safe experience. If that’s too scary, there’s always the leisurely Lazy River raft ride and Wet Willie’s Water Works and for the kids, the cleverly named wave-pool, Mon-Tsunami. Sandcastle is open today from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. 1000 Sandcastle Dr., Homestead.
4) The Baja Bar and Grill’s outdoor deck and Tiki bar are now open for dining, drinking, and dancing with live bands and DJs. Today’s performer is The Flow Band. 2 p.m. 1366 Old Freeport Rd., Fox Chapel Yacht Club, Fox Chapel.
5) Our battlin’ Bucs take on the Cleveland Indians again today in a 4:05 p.m. game. It’s also a pre-game Saturday Block Party, featuring live entertainment, food and beer options, games and more. Stop by the Leinenkugel Bar and meet former Pirates pitcher Bruce Kison. PNC Park, 115 Federal St., North Shore.