Cool Picks Friday August 7, 2012
Cool Picks brings you the best in Pittsburgh entertainment every day!
1) The 43rd annual A Fair in the Park begins its three-day run in Shadyside’s Mellon Park today. Promoted as a contemporary fine craft and arts show and sale, it includes performances, concerts, food and children’s activities. The Fair is presented by the Craftsmen’s Guild of Pittsburgh and Citiparks. Squonk Opera’s latest production “Go Roadshow” runs at 2, 4 & 6 p.m. Fair hours are 1-7 p.m., Free.
2) Also beginning a three-day weekend run is the 22nd Pittsburgh Irish Festival at the Riverplex at Sandcastle. Great Irish musicians, dancers and performers play all day and night on several stages. Highlights include: Pittsburgh favorites, Red Hand Paddy (8:30 p.m.), Bastard Bearded Irishmen (9:45 p.m.) and from the steerage deck of the Titanic movie, Gaelic Storm (9:30 p.m.). Plenty of Irish food can be washed down with Irish beers and whiskies. 4 p.m. – 12 midnight, West Homestead.
3) First Niagara Bank and the Frick Art & Historical Center present “First Fridays at the Frick.” Tonight’s featured band is Ancient Future, playing “world fusion music.” 7 p.m. 7227 Reynolds Street. $5/adult suggested donation, children free.
4) Unblurred: First Fridays on Penn Avenue features a variety of visual and performing arts at galleries, clubs and restaurants. 6 p.m. – 2 a.m. along Penn Avenue in the Garfield, Bloomfield and Friendship neighborhoods. Most events are free.
5) The Pirates battle the Chi-town Cubs today in a 7:05 p.m. game at PNC Park, North Shore.