Cool Picks Friday January 25, 2013
Cool Picks brings you the best in Pittsburgh entertainment every day!
1) The Cultural District’s quarterly Gallery Crawl is happening tonight, and it features visual arts, musical performances, and interactive exhibits. Get your dance moves going at the “Cell Phone Disco,” where several thousand lights illuminate when you make or receive a phone call near the installation. All events are free, and take place at a variety of galleries, art spaces, and venues. Visit the Cultural District Website (http://culturaldistrict.org/event/2522/gallery-crawl-in-the-cultural-district) for the full program of fun happenings. 5:30 –9 p.m., The Cultural District.
2. Let it all hang out with Yo Mama’s Big Fat Booty Band at Thunderbird Café. This band knows how to keep the funk alive with horns, laid-back grooves, and heavy backbeats. When the band’s on stage, everybody shakes it. 9 p.m., 4023 Butler St., Lawrenceville.
3. Screamo/pop-punk band The Used is headlining the” Take Action Tour” at Stage AE, where they’ll be joined by fellow rockers We Came As Romans, Crown the Empire, and Mindflow. Doors at 6 p.m. 400 North Shore Dr., North Shore.
4. Tonight is your last chance to enjoy visual artist Laurie Trok’s installation, Words for Poems, at Fe Gallery in Lawrenceville. It’s a temporary exhibit constructed entirely from cut paper, which is arranged to create shadows that change with the day’s light. 4 – 8 p.m., 4102 Butler St. Lawrenceville.
5. For some comic relief, head to the Pittsburgh Improv for an evening of standup with Ben Bailey, host of the Discovery Channel’s hit show “Cash Cab.” Bailey’s comedy act has been featured on Comedy Central, and he’s gotten laughs on shows like “30 Rock,” ” The Tonight Show,” and MadTV. 7 p.m., The Stacks at the Waterfront, 166 E. Bridge St., The Waterfront. Homestead.