Cool Picks Friday June 8, 2012
1) The Squonk Opera presents their new production, Go Roadshow, at The Three Rivers Arts Festival tonight. If you’ve never seen a Squonk Opera production, you owe it to yourself to view one. It’s a beautiful spectacle of original music and theater with lights, humor and interesting set pieces. Squonk Opera describes their latest production as a “free street spectacle aboard a 34 foot long monster truck…retrofitted with a truck horn calliope, wall made of rotors and a spinning grand piano.” A colorful music parade accompanies the Squonk Opera monster truck. The monster truck and parade wheel onto the scene tonight at Penn Avenue Extension near Stanwix St. Go Roadshow starts at 9:30 pm.
2) The Arts Festival’s main musical act tonight is the Grammy Award winning Carolina Chocolate Drops. Their sound is traditional American music featuring a fiddle, banjo and great harmonies. The Carolina Chocolate Drops appear on the Dollar Bank stage at 8:00 pm.
3) At Summer Sounds, Greensburg’s free Summer concert series, Carbon Leaf will play some “eclectic Americana” rock starting a 7 pm tonight at St. Clair Park.
4) Gem of the Ocean, a Pittsburgh Playwrights production of August Wilson’s play, shows downtown tonight starting at 8 pm in the Pittsburgh Playwrights Theater at 937 Liberty Ave., third floor.
5) Super classic rock group, Crosby, Stills and Nash bring their melodic harmonies and catalog of hits to the Cambria County War Memorial Arena at 8 pm.