Cool Picks brings you the best in Pittsburgh entertainment every day!
1) Singer-songwriter and actor Will Oldham, better known as Bonnie “Prince” Billy, has made his mark on American folk music, indie rock, and independent cinema with his “do-it-yourself punk aesthetic and blunt honesty.” It’s sure to be an entertaining night at Carnegie Lecture Hall. 8 p.m., 4400 Forbes Ave., Oakland.
2) This weekend is your last chance to enjoy the many marvels of Cory Arcangel: Masters at the Carnegie Museum of Art. Arcangel is a New York-based artist who “hacks, manipulates, and re-purposes, ready-made digital technology,” and is best known for his fun, modified versions of old video games. 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. 4400 Forbes Ave., Oakland.
3) Alt-pop group, Wakey! Wakey!, whose music has been featured on the TV show “One Tree Hill,”plays the early show at Club Cafe tonight. They’ll be joined by special guest Suzanna Choffel. 7 p.m., 56-58 S. 12th Street., South Side.
4) If you like your poetry with a bit of bite, get on over to the Battle of the Slams, where 25 poets from five cities will duke it out at the Union Project to earn their team a spot in the National Poetry Slam. 7 p.m. 801 N. Negley Ave., Highland Park.
5) Cover band, Mr. Greengenes, has your Saturday night “fun and frolicking” covered with an evening of raucous rock and pop. 8 p.m. Altar Bar. 1620 Penn Ave.. Strip District.