Cool Picks brings you the best in Pittsburgh entertainment every day!
1) Les Miserables opens tonight, the stage play, not the movie currently playing. PNC Broadway Across America Series brings to Pittsburgh a new production of Les Miserables. Cameron Mackintosh has created a 25th anniversary production of Boublil & Schönberg’s legendary musical, with new staging and innovative scenery based on the paintings of Victor Hugo. 7:30 p.m. (There is also a pre-show talk tonight about the play). Runs through January 27th. Benedum Center. Penn Ave. & 7th St., Downtown Cultural District.
2) Erik Lawrence, former saxophonist of the Levon Helm Band and who has also played with many other music industry notables, sits in at the Thunderbird Cafe tonight as part of their “Space Exchange” series. 9 p.m. 4023 Butler Street, Lawrenceville.
3) Celli dancing will be happening at Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle. Dancing starts at 7:15 with lessons for beginners, then live music and dancing go from 8-10 p.m. 2329 Penn Ave., Strip District.
4) It”s a Mexican Tuesday at South Side’s Lava Lounge. Margaritas only $4 (9 p.m. – close) and eighty five cent beef or veggie tacos (5 p.m. – midnight). 2204 E. Carson St.
5) It’s Pittsburgh Restaurant Week! How does this relate to you? Over fifty Pittsburgh restaurants are offering extra special deals through January 20th. some of the participating restaurants include: Abay, The Elbow Room, Willow, Hartwood Restaurant, and many more. Visit Pittsburghrestaurantweek.com for more information on all the great restaurant deals. Let’s get out there and support all our great local restaurants!