Versatile Guitarist Steve Kimock Performs at Mr. Smalls (CP’s 3/7/13)
1) Versatile guitar virtuoso, Steve Kimock, who plays electric, acoustic, lap and pedal steel guitars in performing songs from many different musical genres is in concert tonight. Performing with Kimock are Bernie Worrell, Wally Ingram, and Andy Hess. 8 p.m. Mr. Smalls Funhouse. 400 Lincoln Ave., Millvale.
2) The 32nd annual Duquesne Light Home & Garden Show continues today through Sunday. Billed as the “largest home event in Pennsylvania,” the show is held every year at the David Lawrence Convention Center. The Home and Garden show features over 1,600 exhibitors and twice daily, jazz performances by the CAPA High School House Band (6:30 and 8 p.m.). Also see the Gettysburg 150: Travel Back in Time with a Union Army encampment from Pittsburgh’s own Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum. 4 – 10 p.m. 1000 Fort Duquesne Blvd., Downtown.
3) The saying goes “where there’s smoke there’s fire” and Smokin’ Section is a hot burning rock and blues band replete with sax and trumpet. 8 p.m. Jergel’s Rhythm Grille. 285 Northgate Dr., Warrendale.
4) Attention space cadets (and people fascinated by outer space such as myself) Hubble, an IMAX film chronicling the launch, repair and mission of the Hubble space telescope screens today. The film show’s spacewalking astronauts and “mind-blowing” pictures of distant galaxies and constellations. Narrated by Leonardo DiCaprio. 11:15 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. Rangos Omnimax theater. Carnegie Science Center, One Allegheny Ave,. North Shore.
5) The Depth and the Whisper, an original pop/rock band on tour from Kansas City plays Howlers Coyote Cafe. Joining them for the show are Homemade Wine, a Tennessee Southern rock band (editors note: the Charlie Daniels Band is also a Tennessee Southern rock band, from Mt. Juliet). 8 p.m. 4509 Liberty Ave., Bloomfield.