Michael Franti and Spearhead to Jam at Carnegie Library Music Hall: Muse at Consol (CP’s Sun. 9/8/13)
1) All you “Rebel Rockers” out there make sure to catch Michael Franti and Spearhead tonight at 7:30 at the Carnegie Library Music Hall. Franti and Spearhead are like a musical blender using the ingredients of hip-hop, rock, funk, jazz, reggae, and folk to create a tasty smoothie for the ears. Special guests are Michael Bernard Fitzgerald and Kopecky Family Band. 510 E. 10th St., Munhall.
2) Another group that does musical fusion well is the British rock group Muse. The core members of this Grammy-winning group (Best Rock Album, 2011) for The Resistance are school boy friends Matthew Bellamy (lead vocals, lead guitar), Christopher Wolstenholme (bass, vocals), and Dominic Howard (drums, percussion). all play other instruments as well, and they combine heavy metal, space rock, progressive rock, and alternative to forge their signature sound. Opening is Cage the Elephant.7 p.m. Consol Energy Center, 1001 Fifth Ave., Uptown.
3) The 44th annual A Fair in the Park continues today in Shadyside’s Mellon Park today. Promoted as a contemporary fine craft and arts show and sale, it includes performances, concerts, food and children’s activities. The Fair is presented by the Craftsmen’s Guild of Pittsburgh and Citiparks. Squonk Opera brings their quirky combination of visual and musical creativity to the fair with performances at noon, 2, and 4 p.m. Fair hours are 10 a.m. -5 p.m., Free. Ends today. Fifth and Shady Avenues.
4) Also continuing its weekend run is the 23rd annual Pittsburgh Irish Festival at the Riverplex at Sandcastle. Great Irish musicians, dancers and performers play all day and night on several stages. Highlights include: Cahal Dunne (12:30 p.m. Celtic Spirit Stage) and Skerryvore (4:15 p.m. Emerald Amphitheatre). Plenty of Irish food can be washed down with Irish beers, ciders and whiskies. 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Ends today. 1000 Sandcastle Dr., West Homestead.
5) Finally, on the slim chance you haven’t heard: The Steelers kickoff their season against the Tennessee Titans at Heinz Field today at 1 p.m. 100 Art Rooney Ave., North Shore.