1) Sometimes we just need a laugh, and Aries Spears is here to help. Since his early start on A Different World, Spears has been making audiences laugh through TV, film, albums, and live shows. Best known as a cast member on MADtv, Spears has made appearances on TV and in movies, including Def Comedy Jam to Jerry Maguire. Tonight, he gives a hilarious performance at The Improv at the Waterfront. A talented impersonator, Spears is known for impressions of Bill Cosby, Mike Tyson, Jesse Jackson, Michael Jackson, and, perhaps his most famous, former NBA star Shaquille O’Neal. He has appeared with Cedric the Entertainer for the Def Comedy Jam Tour as well as scoring his own stand-up special on Showtime. 8 p.m. Through July 28. 166 Bridge St., Homestead.
2) Local rock legend Joe Grushecky will be hanging out at Station Square, and you should, too! With the Houserockers at his side, Grushecky is playing a free show in Bessemer Court as part of the Station Square Summer Concert Series. Rolling Stone contributor Jimmy Guterman says of Grushecky, “There’s Dylan, Lucinda Williams, Neil Young, Springsteen, maybe a few more. He’s on that level.” Come hear some new songs as well as your old favorites. 6:30 p.m. 125 W. Station Square Dr., Station Square.
3) Today marks the first day of the one and only Fayette County Fair. There is something for everyone here. Tonight’s features include the Firemen’s Parade, Croushore’s Championship Demolition Derby, music by Abacus Jones, and hypnotist Mike Bishop. The Fayette County Fair also has carnival rides, games, and your favorite fair foods. Runs through August 3. 6 – 11 p.m. 132 Pechin Rd., Dunbar.
4) If you’ve ever seen an artist’s work at the Gallery Crawl or Art All Night and thought, “I could do that,” then put your money (and a few cocktails) where your mouth is: Sign up for Colors & Bottles at the Modern Café. At this one-of-a-kind painting class, all you have to bring is yourself and your muse. Supplies are provided. Their goal is to offer social painting classes in happening Pittsburgh sites where you can sip on a cocktail or two while creating your masterpiece. Cocktails are purchased separately, if desired. You can join at Colors & Bottles, registration closes at 12:30 p.m. on the day of the class. 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. 862 Western Ave., North Side.
5) If you’re a metal fan, then you won’t want to miss Dawnbringer at Howlers Coyote Café. With only three shows scheduled this summer, the Pennsylvania natives return home for a rare live appearance. Special guests include Argus and Lady Beast. 8 p.m. 4509 Liberty Ave., Bloomfield.