54th Annual Pittsburgh Light Up Night; Craig Ferguson Plays CLMH (CPs Fri., 11/21/14)
1) Tonight’s 54th Annual Light Up Night is the official kick off to Pittsburgh’s holiday season—even if some national retailers started the holiday season the day after Halloween. Highlights include several tree-lighting ceremonies, ice skating at PPG Plaza, Macy’s holiday window unveiling, Fireworks (Warhol Bridge, 9:38 p.m.), free horse-drawn carriage rides (Oxford Centre, 6 – 8:45 p.m.), and several Santa appearances. There’s also top-notch local entertainment featuring Michele Bensen, Roger Humphries and RH Factor, Sean Jones, Jeff Jimerson, Billy Price, Joe Grushecky, Donora, Max Leake Trio, and Spanky Wilson. The world-class Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra will be giving a free concert as part of RAD Days 2014 (Heinz Hall, 7 p.m.). Merriment and goodwill spontaneously occur all over the Golden Triangle. This is a holiday celebration not to miss. For a complete schedule, visit Downtown Pittsburgh for the Holidays. 5 – 10 p.m., Downtown.
2) Craig Ferguson, host of CBS TV’s Emmy-nominated “The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson,” recently announced he is ending his show. He also hosts the syndicated show “Celebrity Name Game.” Originally from Glasgow, Scotland, Ferguson is additionally known for his work as an actor (Drew Carey’s boss on “The Drew Carey Show“) and author. He takes the stage at tonight at Carnegie Library Music Hall. (No word on whether his robot sidekick Geoff from “The Late Late Show” will be there.) 8 p.m. 510 E. 10th St., Munhall.
3) Wiz Khalifa loves Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh loves Wiz Khalifa, which is why he’ll be performing three shows at Mr. Smalls. The Taylor Allderdice alum is also one of the hardest working people in entertainment. His rap music has been nominated for five Grammys, including the ubiquitous “Black and Yellow.” In between frequent solo releases, Khalifa has collaborated with artists as diverse as Snoop Dogg and Maroon 5. His Taylor Gang Entertainment label, headquartered in the Steel City, recently partnered with Neff, an active lifestyle brand, to produce 26 pieces of apparel, featuring hats and T-shirts. Blacc Hollywood, his fifth studio album, went to number one on Billboard’s Top 200 album chart this year. The newest single, “Stayin’ Out All Night,” includes an interactive music video where viewers can choose how Khalifa and actress Tia Carrere (Wayne’s World) “stay out all night.” Special guest Uzi opens. 8:30 p.m. 400 Lincoln Ave., Millvale. Khalifa will also be in concert tomorrow night. All shows are Sold Out; check ticket reselling sites for any availability.
4) Artie Lange, supporting cast member on the Howard Stern Show for five years, is in town at the Pittsburgh Improv for a night of laughs. Before signing with Stern, Lange played the NYC comedy clubs and was part of the Mad TV troupe. He’s also a New York Times best-selling author with his memoir Too Fat to Fish, and he co-wrote and produced his own feature film, Beer League. 8 p.m. tonight and two shows tomorrow. 166 E. Bridge St., Waterfront, Homestead.
5) The New York Islanders are in town tonight to take the rink against the Pens. Faceoff at 7 p.m. Consol Energy Center, 1001 Fifth Ave., Uptown.