Fitz and The Tantrums at the Funhouse (CP’s Mon. 7/8/13)
1) Part L.A. hot new wave band, part Motown sound with a Bruce Springsteen-like wall of sound thrown in, that’s how I describe Fitz and The Tantrums. Fitz is lead vocalist/keyboardist Michael Fitzpatrick, who teams up with vocalist/percussionist Noelle Scaggs to belt out the songs. James King, Joeseph Karnes, Jeremy Ruzumna, and John Wicks are the talented Tantrums who generate a beautiful, hard-driving wall of sound. The band broke out in 2010 when the album Picking Up the Pieces reached number one on the Billboard Heatseekers chart. The album generated several hits including “MoneyGrabber,” “Don’t Gotta Work It Out,” and “Breakin the Chains of Love.” Fitz and the Tantrums have followed up with More Than Just a Dream whose “Out of My League” is climbing the charts. Fitz and the Tantrums are performing tonight at Mr. Smalls Funhouse, but unfortunately, it’s SOLD OUT! 8 p.m. 400 Lincoln Ave.
2) The Oakland Athletics fly in from the left coast to take on our battlin’ Bucs in the first of a three-game home stand. 7:05 p.m. North Shore.
3) The Balcony Big Band is hitting only high notes in a Monday night performance at Jergel’s Rhythm Grille. 8 p.m. No cover. 103 Slade Ln., Warrendale.
4) Savoy Restaurant’s Savoy Jazz Mondays continues tonight with host band Roger Humphries Trio and tenor saxophonist Roby Edwards. 6 – 10 p.m. No cover. 2623 Penn Ave., Strip District.
5) Check out new and established talent at one of the towns’ best open stage nights, Club Cafe’s AcoustiCafe. The supportive and friendly event is hosted by Eric George. No cover. 7 p.m. 56-58 S. 12th St., South Side.