Kevin Howard Group at Savoy Jazz Monday (CP’s Mon. 8/12/13)
1) Let’s face it: Mondays stink. After a relaxing and reinvigorating weekend, we are forced back into the manic shuffle of work and responsibility. Thankfully, Savoy Restaurant makes Monday a little less painful with Savoy Jazz Mondays. Featuring the Roger Humphries Trio and Kevin Howard Group tonight, this weekly event combines smooth jazz, great eats, and various drink specials to create a truly perfect way to cap off even the most brutal Monday. Dress up (a business-casual code is in effect), round-up a few friends, and head out to Savoy Restaurant to start your week off right. 6 p.m. 2623 Penn Ave., Strip District.
2) Bieber Fever invades the Steel City in the form of a colorful, ambient laser light show at the Carnegie Science Center. Entitled “Laser Bieber,” this show highlights pop sensation Justin Bieber’s chart-topping hits with lasers, animated graphics, and a 3-D environment that will leave viewers of all ages in awe. 3 p.m. Daily through Aug. 31. One Allegheny Ave., North Shore.
3) Take the kids on an adventure to Idlewild Park and SoakZone in Ligonier. Sometimes overshadowed by larger, more adult-oriented parks like Kennywood and Cedar Point, Idlewild holds its own in the entertainment and fun departments, a point intimated by Amusement Today, whose readers voted Idlewild the “Best Kids’ Park in the World” in 2010, 2011, and 2012. With attractions from roller coasters to water slides to a storybook forest and many things in between, Idlewild Park and SoakZone will give your next family outing the dose of fun it deserves. Gates open at 10:30 a.m. Directions.
4) The Lawrence County Fair pushes its engine to the redline tonight with an antique and stock farm tractor pull. Showcasing the power and might of old-school and modern farming equipment, this event will display the evolution of tractor technology in a fun, exciting atmosphere. If a tractor pull isn’t for you, don’t worry—the fair also features rides, food, and various vendors from across the state. Fairground opens at 8 a.m.; the tractor pull begins at 7 p.m. 464 Midway Rd., New Castle.
5) Few band names embody the death metal spirit quite like Fit For An Autopsy. This aptly named five-piece outfit brings its brutal screams, deep chugging guitars, and rapid-fire percussion and bass to the Smiling Moose tonight for a show that promises to be outrageous. This style of music is not for everybody, but if you like a fast, heavy, and utterly intense environment to satisfy your musical cravings, this concert is for you. Opening is Legion. 6 p.m. Upstairs.1306 E. Carson St., South Side.