1) Guitar: The Instrument That Rocked the World opens tonight at the Carnegie Science Center on the North Shore. The show features over 60 guitars, hands-on interactive exhibits, performance audio and videos, photos and much more. Tonight’s opening reception features some of Pittsburgh’s best rock musicians in an All-Star Acoustic Jam — Joe Grushecky of the Houserockers, Rick Witkowski of the B.E. Taylor Group, Rob James of the Clarks and Billy Price of the Billy Price Band. Legendary rock promoter Rich Engler will be showing a selection from his guitar collection signed by some of rock’s biggest stars. Opening reception runs from 8 to 11:30 pm
2) There’s definitely a party going on tonight at the Rex Theater on the South Side with funk master Bootsy Collins. Collins once played bass guitar for the legendary James Brown before going out on his own. The “bass popping” show starts at 8:30 pm.
3) Tonight at Moondog’s in Blawnox (one of the longest-running local rock bars), Bill Toms and Hard Rain perform starting at 9 pm. Toms was a former guitar player for Joe Grushecky and the Houserockers.
4) Catch the cool vibe of Santigold’s vocals and beats at Stage AE tonight. Opening act is Theophilus London. Doors open at 7:30 pm.
5) Baja Bar & Grill at the Fox Chapel Yacht Club has dance band Nightlife rockin’ the river. The outdoor show starts at 8 pm.