Cool Picks bring you the best in Pittsburgh entertainment every day!
1) Morrissey, an English singer/songwriter who is the former lead singer for The Smiths and has had a successful solo career, is in concert tonight at Heinz Hall. His hits include “Irish Blood , English Heart” and “First of the Gang to Die.” 8 p.m. 600 Penn Ave. Downtown Cultural District.
2) See how good (or bad) your spelling skills are at Lava Lounge’s Monday Night Spelling Bee with Kumar, from 10 p.m. – midnight. And, you want to eat while you compete. you can purchase meat ball and veggie-ball sandwiches for only $1.50, from 5 p.m. – midnight. 2204 E. Carson St., South Side.
3) It’s a Roger Humphries night at the Savoy Restaurant’s Savoy Jazz Mondays. The Roger Humphries Trio is the house band for the Monday night event and tonight his other group RH Factor (with Sean Jones) is the featured musical act. No cover. 5 – 9 p.m. 2623 Penn Ave., Strip District.
4) Another happening jazz show tonight is the Balcony Big Band at Jergel’s Rhythm Grille in Warrendale. 8 p.m. No cover. 103 Slade Lane.
5) One of Pittsburgh’s premier Open Stage nights takes place at Club Cafe. Enjoy new and established talent playing in a relaxed showcase environment. Hosted by Bob Banergee. No cover. 7 p.m. 56-58 S. 12th St., South Side.