1) The Roger Humphries (a Pittsburgh institution if you’re a jazz aficionado) Trio plays Savoy Restaurant in the Strip every Monday, featuring a special guest each week. This weeks special guest is Eric Johnson, jazz guitarist. Savoy Jazz Mondays go from 6 – 10 p.m. 2623 Penn Ave. Strip District.
2) Craig King hosts the Thunderbird Cafe’s “Open Stage” night. 9:30 p.m. start. No cover. 4023 Butler Street, Lawrenceville.
3) “It’s A Girl” the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium proudly announces on their website in regards to the birth of their newest “youngin'”, a new sea lion pup. You can stop by and visit any day between 9:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. Highland Park.
4) McConnells Mill State Park is a picturesque green gorge, created by the last ice-age glaciers, with a creek (Slippery Rock Creek) flowing rapidly through it. There’s an interesting historic mill and covered wooden bridges; you can hike several trails along the creek, rappel, rock climb, fish, picnic, etc. Swimming is prohibited due to the dangerous white water conditions of the creek. The rocks are also slippery, thus the name Slippery Rock Creek. Open sunrise to sunset. Free.
5) Unless you have arachnophobia check out The Amazing Spider-Man at your favorite local movie house.