Cool Picks Sunday August 26, 2012
1) Shadyside…The Art Festival on Walnut Street continues through today. Check out some cool art and eat at some of the great restaurants and bistros in Shadyside including: Crepes Parisiennes, Pizzutti’s, Pamela’s, Up Modern Kitchen, China Palace, Steel Cactus, Thai Place, Chica Loca Taco, Girasole. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Shadyside. Free.
2) The Duran Duran show was postponed today due to keyboardist Nick Rhodes being ill with a viral infection. New date should be announced soon.The UK’s Duran Duran brings their collection of ’80s top hits to Stage AE including: Wild Boys, New Moon on Monday, Hungry Like a Wolf, Rio, A View To a Kill and many more. Duran Duran combines a dance/rock sound with strong vocals by lead singer Simon Le Bon for a great sound. The outdoor show opens with MNDR. Gates open 6:30 p.m. North Shore.
3) Hartwood Acres Amphitheater hosts the Allegheny County Music Festival featuring internationally known Pittsburgh jam band Rusted Root (7:30 p.m.) and openers Liz Berlin’s – Youth, WE ROCK Workshop; Jaira; Lightning Box; The Red Western. Opening bands start at 5 p.m. $20-per-car suggested donation. Proceeds benefit Allegheny County children and youth services.
4) Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival has started this year’s run with jousting, musical acts, live theater, a children’s realm, a pirates pub and a crafts marketplace. 10:30 a.m – 6:30 p.m. West Newton.
5) Dave Throckmorton with bassist Tony Grey play the Citiparks Reservoir of Jazz , Highland Park, 5-7 p.m. Free.