1) Valentine’s Day offers Pittsburghers a chance to catch the opening performance of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre’s Moulin Rouge: The Ballet at Benedum Center. If high kicks, luscious costumes, a French soundtrack, and a story that’s all about passion don’t put you in the mood for love, check your pulse. 7:30 p.m. 803 Liberty Ave., Cultural District.
2) If you’re looking for something more unique than a Valentine’s Day dinner date, check out Valentines on Ice at Schenley Park Skating Rink. Romantic music will play on the rink overlooking the Pittsburgh skyline, and once you’re ready to warm up indoors, you’ll find salsa dancing lessons, mini-massages, and refreshments (ages 18+). 7-10 p.m. Overlook Dr., Oakland.
3) If this particular holiday makes you feel more nauseous than romantic, you’ll find plenty of kindred spirits at the Red is Dead, Anti-Valentine’s Day Party at Olive or Twist, featuring a DJ, hors d’oeuvres, games. Bring a photo of your ex for shredding and they’ll waive the full cover charge! 7 p.m. 140 6th St., Downtown.
4) For a charming evening of cabaret, poetry and song, join Sugar Daddy and the Big Boned Girls—Lonely Heart Cotillion at Club Café. WYEP’s Brian Siewiorek will make a special appearance to recite bitter love poems. A special holiday menu is featured, in addition to the house’s full cocktail, wine and beer list. 8 p.m. show (doors open 90 minutes in advance). 56 S. 12th St., South Side.
5) If the moonlit Monongahela floats your boat, consider a Valentine’s Day Dinner Dance Riverboat Cruise with the Gateway Clipper Fleet. The cruise will include a buffet dinner, live music, prize raffles from L.S. Jewelers, sweet treats from Esther’s Sweet Shop. 7-10 p.m. 350 W. Station Square Drive, Station Square.