Cool Picks Wednesday, February 13, 2013
1) Ken Stringfellow’s impressive resume includes fronting the Seattle power-pop band The Posies, working as a touring and recording member of R.E.M, and releasing multiple solo albums. Join him at Thunderbird Cafe for a night of diverse explorations celebrating 30 years of writing, recording, performing and producing music. With Karl Hendricks and Will Simmons & The Upholsterers. 9 p.m. 4023 Butler St., Lawrenceville.
2) The Oscars are coming up at the end of February, and unless you’re only interested in what ScarJo is wearing, the awards are always more enjoyable if you’ve seen a nominated film or two. In at least one category, it’s easy to see them all. Regent Square Theater is showing this year’s Oscar Nominated Shorts with two back-to-back showings—Live Action Shorts, 7 p.m. and Animated Shorts, 9 p.m. 1035 S. Braddock Ave., Regent Square.
3) Teen popsters Allstar Weekend are bringing their charming star quality to the Altar Bar. For a band that got their start on the Disney channel, their songs are catchy, clever, edgy. They may be young, but they just may have what it takes to become the next big thing. With Cute is What We Aim For, Tiffany Alvord and Beneath the Sun. 6:30 p.m. 1620 Penn Ave., Strip District.
4) Braddock’s American Brasserie, a self-proclaimed tribute to the Whiskey Rebellion, offers a diverse cocktail list and a huge, value driven menu. Check out Whiskey Wednesday. We love the alliteration almost as much as we love the libations. 5 – 7 p.m. 107 6th Street, Cultural District.
5) Pittsburgh pop rockers Slingshot Genius have been described as a combination of The Move, The Cure, Captain, Blondie and Alphabeat. They pride themselves on being both “dynamic” and “eclectic.” Join them as they keep things interesting at Howlers Coyote Café. With Bennet of Michigan and Nameless in August. 8 p.m. 4509 Liberty Ave., Bloomfield.