Les Ballets Trockadero Makes Fun at Byham (CP’s Fri. 4/5/13)
1) Comedy and ballet combined:, what could be better? Les Ballets Trockadero, an all-male New York dance company who’s been performing comedic dance routines for 35 years, takes the stage of the Byham Theater. 8 p.m. 101 6th St., Cultural District.
2) Dream of Autumn haunts the Quantum Stage through April 28. Quantum Theatre does great plays by playwrights that most Americans haven’t heard of. Jon Fosse, a Norwegian writer, has been compared to Samuel Beckett. So, instead of biding time until the next revival of Waiting for Godot, why not see Fosse’s Dream of Autumn? Quantum has Karla Boos and Martin Giles playing the leads, in a version translated and directed by Sarah Cameron Sunde. It’s a spooky tale staged in a dead restaurant: the former Park Schenley at the Royal York. 8 PM 3955 Bigelow Blvd., Oakland.
3) There’s a great local garage band double-header at Mr. Smalls Funhouse tonight with The Cynics, who infuse rock and dance sounds with intense thought-inspiring lyrics and Meeting of Important People, a three-piece, power-pop group. The Cynics have been performing for over 25 years. Special guest is Neighbours. 8:30 p.m. 400 Lincoln Ave., Millvale.
4) Unblurred: First Fridays on Penn Avenue features a variety of visual and performing arts at galleries, clubs and restaurants. 6 p.m. – 2 a.m. along Penn Avenue (4800-5500) in the Garfield, Bloomfield and Friendship neighborhoods. Most events are free.
5) The New York Rangers are in town to take on our mighty Penguins in a 7 p.m. game at the Consol Energy Center. 1001 Fifth Ave., Uptown.