1) The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust begins its Pittsburgh International Festival of Firsts today. The Rubber Duck Project will bring it’s tension easing qualities to Pittsburgh today after mesmerizing stops in 7 other international cities. Pittsburgh is the first U.S. city it will appear in. The Duck is a friendly, but a little demanding also, reminding the Cultural Trust on its page that it is owed 7 tons of birdseed under the contract. The Duck has also inquired as to whether it can get a Steelers jersey in size XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL? Artist Florentijn Hofman, of The Netherlands, created the Duck to bring people joy and more togetherness. It will make its Pittsburgh appearance at 5:30 p.m. tonight on the Allegheny River near Point State Park. The Pittsburgh International Festival of Firsts features debuts of original works of art and music by talented creators and runs through Oct. 26.
2) Gallery Crawl in the Cultural District is happening tonight; it features visual arts, musical performances, and interactive exhibits. All events are free and take place at a variety of galleries, art spaces and, venues. Some galleries offer drinks and hors d’oeuvres. 5:30 – 9 p.m., Cultural District.
3) Penn Brewery has begun its Oktoberfest celebration at the brewery, restaurant and bar complex. Plenty of fine Penn Brews, German food and entertainment are on tap. Today’s music lineup is: Kevin Solecki (inside) 4:30 – 8 p.m., Autobahn (outside), 5 – 8 p.m., Madel Jager (inside) 8- 11:30 p.m., and Heimat Klang (outside) 8:30 p.m. – midnight. Through Sunday. 800 Vinial St., Troy Hill.
4) It’s also the start of the second Oktoberfest Weekend at a “little” German restaurant on the South Side,Hofbräuhaus Pittsburgh. The event features the winning combination of German food, beer, and music, including Steve Grkman (3 – 5 p.m.), the Haus Band (5 – 9 p.m.), and the Bavarian Brats (9:30 p.m. – 1:30 a.m.). So get on over and get your schnitzel on! Ends tomorrow. 2705 Water St. , SouthSide Works.
5) Zoso billed as “the ultimate Led Zeppelin tribute band’,” is in concert tonight on the North Shore. Doors open at 8 p.m. Stage AE, 400 North Shore Dr.
6) Good Fridays at the Warhol is a weekly party at the museum, featuring art exhibits, music, and cocktails in the high temple to Andy Warhol’s numerous talents. Half-price museum admission. 5 – 10 p.m. 117 Sandusky St., North Shore.
7) Today’s Allegheny County Radical Days include free events at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center and Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania – Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve. For more information visit the Radical Days Web site.