1) American country-classical chamber music is one way the Punch Brothers have been described, which is especially interesting since they hail from Brooklyn, N.Y. Their unique sound derives from combining the mandolin, banjo, acoustic guitar, stand-up bass, and fiddle with a contemporary vocal style from Chris Thile. Special guest Aoife O’Donovan. 8 p.m. Mr. Smalls Funhouse, 400 Lincoln Ave., Millvale.
2) St. Patrick’s Day is a time to have a taste of Ireland’s native waters. (Guinness, Harp, and Murphy’s brews and Tullamore Dew and Jameson Irish Whiskeys are a few good ones.) Have an old Irish toast (“May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you’re dead.”) in one of several happenin’ Irish pubs, including Mullaney’s Harp & Fiddle, McArdles, Murphy’s Tap Room, and Claddagh. For those who don’t imbibe or are designated drivers (thank you!), enjoy a McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, or cup o’hot tea.
3) The Town Pants are upright and zipped up and are appearing at the Thunderbird Café. Celtic Folk Rockers from Vancouver, The Town Pants latest CD, 15, contains 15 songs and marks their 15th anniversary together. 6 p.m. 4023 Butler St., Lawrenceville.
4) Check out new and established talent at one of the city’s best open stage nights, Club Café’s AcoustiCafe. Lone Wolf Club is the host of this supportive and friendly event. No cover. 7 p.m. 56 – 58 S. 12th St., South Side.
6) Inspired by the Winter Olympics? Enjoy ice skating at the Citiparks’ Schenley Skating Rink. Set among beautiful pine trees, the rink also offers a picturesque view of Downtown Pittsburgh. 4 – 6:30 p.m. Skate rentals and lessons available. Overlook Drive, Schenley Park, Squirrel Hill.
7) Seven Springs Mountain Resort is taking a cue from the Pittsburgh Pirates’ all-you-can-eat seats and is offering a Munchy Mondays special. For $45, you get a night skiing/snowboarding pass (4 p.m. – close) and an all-you-can-eat voucher (5 – 8 p.m.) at the First Tracks café for hot dogs, French fries, mac and cheese, popcorn, cheese pizza slices, and fountain drinks. 777 Waterwheel Dr., Seven Springs.