1) Disney’s Tony Award-winning musical The Lion King makes a triumphant return to Pittsburgh for a multi-week run. The creative costuming and staging developed by the highly talented Julie Taymor is a sight to see,as is the meshing of actors and animal costumes that results in a suspension of disbelief. The musical score is no weak link either with Elton John and Tim Rice’s Oscar Award-winning song “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” and “Circle of Life.” 7:30 p.m. Through Sept.29. Benedum Center, 237 7th st . Cultural District.
2) Thunderbird Cafe’s Space Exchange series continues tonight with Lina Allemano Four, one of Canada’s top avant-garde, free-form jazz groups. The Toronto based band walks the fine line between composed songs and improvisation. 9 p.m. No cover. 4023 Butler St., Lawrenceville.
3) Get away to the tropics with a trip to Brillobox for Tropical Tuesdays. There you’ll feel the trade winds (air conditioner) soothe your overdue vacation bones. Here’s a sampling of their specials $3 select craft cans, $4 frozen drinks, $10 California bubble bath, $10 Eva Peron, $7 Fernet con cola, and $6 Coronita Margaveza. You can also sop up the island drinks with $7 pineapple soy-glazed chicken or tofu skewers served with Caribbean sweet potato salad. Shoes and shirt required. 5 p.m. – 2 a.m. 4104 Penn Ave., Bloomfield.
4) Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. is at Altar Bar. No it’s not a misprint, the actual NASCAR driver will not be there, but his namesake (kinda) band will be performing in concert. Formed in 2009 by Detroit area musicians Joshua Epstein and Daniel Zott, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Jr. was originally envisioned as a side project, but eventually gained a lot of traction. This is a University of Pittsburgh Express Rocks production and is NOT open to the general public. The event is free for Pitt students with a University ID. 18 years of age and older. 10 p.m. 1600 Penn Ave., Strip District.
5) The Pirates take on the San Diego Padres tonight in the second game of a four game series. 7:05 p.m. PNC Park, 115 Federal St., North Shore