PICT’s “A Skull in Connemara;” Pittsburgh Jazz Orchestra Plays the Cabaret (CP’s Tues. 9/24/13)
1) A Skull in Connemara is the latest Production from Pittsburgh Irish and Classical Theatre. The play is a dark comedy set in Connemara, Ireland in the 1970’s, where a grave digger disinters bodies in the local cemetery to make room for new arrivals. As he gets closer to the plot where his late wife, who died under mysterious circumstances, is buried, the plot thickens. Written by Martin McDonagh and directed by Martin Giles. 7 p.m. Runs through Sunday. Charity Randall Theatre at the Stephen Foster Memorial (next to the Cathedral of Learning on Pitt’s Campus).
2) Pittsburgh Jazz Orchestra …On the Road is in concert at the Cabaret at Theater Square. The 10-piece ensemble is led by Sean Jones, artistic director and Mike Tomaro, associate director. This promises to be an evening of great jazz music in an intimate concert setting. 8 p.m. 655 Penn Ave., Cultural District.
3) Also at Theater Square tonight, Alton Merrell is the featured performer at this week’s Tuesday night jazz series at the Backstage Bar at Theater Square. Merrell is a noted pianist skilled in both jazz and gospel music. No cover. 5 p.m. 655 Penn Ave., Cultural District.
4) Thunderbird Cafe’s Space Exchange series, which explores progressive jazz in relation to other musical genres, continues tonight with a newly formed group, The Chris Parker Trio. Guitarist Chris Parker is joined by bassist Matt Booth and drummer David Throckmorton. 9 p.m. No cover. 4023 Butler St., Lawrenceville.
5) Today’s Allegheny County Radical Days event is free admission to Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum in Oakland. For more info visit the Radical Days Website.