Pirates vs. Cards (CP’s Wed. 7/31/13)
1) The Pittsburgh Pirates take on the St. Louis Cardinals in a critical National League Central matchup carrying potential playoff implications. Will the Cards steal a game from the Pirates on their home field, or will the Jolly Roger wave proudly above PNC Park by game’s end? Support the Buccos and make the trip to the North Shore to watch this National League showdown unfold. 7:05 p.m. 115 Federal St.
2) Release your midweek stresses at the North Park skating rink with the Ron Bickel Orchestra, performing as part of the 2013 Allegheny Summer Concert Series. Bickel and his orchestra will fill the summer air with pleasing melodies, ensuring a night well spent by all in attendance. Bickel, who currently serves as an adjunct professor of jazz and piano at Duquesne University, has performed at such high-profile local venues as Heinz Hall, the Benedum Center, and the Carnegie Music Hall. With Bickel, audiences are guaranteed high-quality tunes and good vibes, so turn your work phone on silence and enjoy the harmonious rhythms and grooves. 7:30 p.m. Free. 301 Pearce Mill Rd., Allison Park.
3) Longtime alternative metal standouts 10 Years will rock the Altar Bar tonight with its signature post-grunge sound. The group, which draws inspiration from notable progressive metal outfits like Tool and Deftones, tapped into mainstream audiences with its 2005 release The Autumn Effect and has toured steadily since then, recording three more successful albums in the process. Bring your big-boy (or girl) shoes—this one could get rowdy. Opening act Shattered kicks off festivities at 7 p.m. 1620 Penn Ave., Strip District.
4) Doll up and gather your friends for Girls’ Night Out at the Benedum. After dinner at The Carlton, your party will partake in the inspiring sights and sounds of musical theater from the Pittsburgh CLO. Tonight’s featured production is Buddy – The Buddy Holly Story. Dinner at 6 p.m., show starts at 8 p.m. Prior arrangements necessary. 719 Liberty Ave., Cultural District.
5) This week’s installment of Mid-Week Music in Market Square features Dan Bubien of the Sun Kings. A professional of over 20 years, this Aliquippa native has honed his blues/funk sound into something truly special and unique on the local circuit and abroad. Catch his intimate storytelling and old-fashioned grooves for the best price in town—free. Noon. 23 Market Place, Forbes Avenue and Market Place, Downtown.