1) The 2013 Pyrotechnics Guild International (PGI) are having their annual convention, and you’re invited to see the fruits of their labor! PGI will present a fireworks display that lights up Slippery Rock, known as the BOOM & a Blast Fireworks Extravaganza. Witness never before seen fireworks over Cooper’s Lake, with an overall aura of fun that includes vendors and live entertainment. PGI is expecting nearly 50,000 for this event, so make sure to get there early, before all the good spots are taken. 8:30 p.m. 205 Currie Rd., Slippery Rock.
2) Stop by the South Park Amphitheater where the Rick Purcell Band featuring Shari Richards will be performing. The ensemble plays an array of music capable of entertaining a wide range of ages and musical preferences, from Glenn Miller’s Big Band Era to Lee Ann Womack’s “I Hope You Dance.” Purcell’s resume includes backup for Wayne Newton and the Temptations, making this rare public performance a treat for a diversity of music lovers. Free. 7:30 p.m. Skating rink, South Park.
3) Whether you’re north or south of the city, Luma is here to get you through your hump day. Visit either their Mt. Lebanon or Aspinwall locales to enjoy ½ off vino bottles all night. Friendly, attentive staff offer up insider training to help make your pick perfect for the night ahead. While you’re nibbling on Brazilian calamari in sweet chili banana sauce—good with red or white, by the way, wander over to the delectable entree section of your menu; I can whole- heartedly attest to General Tso’s Muscovy duck breast! 8 Brilliant Ave., Aspinwall; 186 Castle Shannon Blvd., Mt. Lebanon.
4) Wednesday is Wing Night at Smokin’ Joe’s on the South Side. Enjoy $0.40 jumbo wings or $0.25 boneless wings, with a variety of seasonings, from dry rubs to smokin’ hot sauce, enough to please any wing lover’s palate. Tonight, one dollar off select drafts and Pinnacle Vodkas–ask your server for details. Feeling ambitious? Try your hand at pool or darts. Make sure to wipe the buffalo sauce from your fingers before you give it a go. 7 p.m.– midnight. 2001 E. Carson St., South Side.
5) Admit it, ladies, you’re crazy for Swayze. See him in all his ‘80s glory at AMC Loew’s Waterfront Theater 22 for a one-night only screening of Dirty Dancing. Relive the on-screen chemistry between Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey, a classic, coming-of-age story sprinkled with the perfect summer soundtrack. Grab your girlfriends, grab some cocktails, and have the time of your life. Remember “Nobody puts baby in a corner.”7:30 p.m. 300 W. Waterfront Dr., West Homestead.