Steelers take on the Giants (CP’s Sat. 8/10/13)
1) Say it with me: Football is back, baby! The Pittsburgh Steelers kick off their preseason against Eli Manning and the visiting New York Giants at Heinz Field tonight, giving the Steel City reason to celebrate. The off-season is painfully long for football fans, and tonight’s matchup will give leatherheads a first look at the 2013-14 Steelers roster. Will rookie first-round draft pick Jarvis Jones outplay veteran Jason Worilds to earn the coveted starting outside linebacker spot? How will the offense operate without Mike Wallace at wide receiver? There’s only one way to find out: Bust out those terrible towels, head down to the stadium, and take in some good old-fashioned Steelers football. 7:30 p.m. 100 Art Rooney Ave., North Shore.
2) Slim Cessna’s Auto Club performs at the Rex Theater tonight, affording concertgoers the chance to expend some energy and release all stresses and worries to the tune of jangling strings and thumping bass grooves. Boasting a sound dubbed “gothabilly,” the band mixes country blues, Americana, and high-energy punk to create a sound laced with a variety of influences from across the U.S. Undeniably original and completely unforgettable, Slim Cessna’s Auto Club provides the soundtrack for a perfect night out. 9 p.m. 1602 E. Carson St., South Side.
3) The Meadows Racetrack & Casino morphs into the Las Vegas strip tonight, as Bo Wagner’s Rat Pack is set to serenade the crowd with a tribute to Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., and Dean Martin. Grab a smoking jacket and cigar and prepare yourself for a trip to the ’60s—your tour guide for the evening will be Mr. Bo Wagner and his group of accomplished purveyors of swing. Free. 8 p.m. 210 Racetrack Rd., Washington.
4) How do beer, music, food, and a great cause sound for a Saturday night? Perfect, right? The 7th-annual Millvale Brewfest provides all this and more tonight at the Millvale Riverfront Park. Attendees are invited to enjoy over 175 craft, micro, nano, and specialty brews from across the country in addition to a variety of foods and goods from the many vendors on hand. Making this seemingly flawless occasion even better, all money raised will benefit the Nonprofit Millvale Borough Development Corporation, helping it to stabilize and revive Millvale neighborhoods. Toss back a few cold ones and support the community in the process. $50. Two separate sessions available: 1 – 4 p.m. and 5 – 8 p.m. Riverfront Drive, Millvale .
5) The Washington County Agricultural Fair revs up tonight with a jam-packed day of food, music, and fun for all ages. Enjoy a tractor pull in the morning, homemade country cooking in the afternoon, and a fair queen contest followed by country music standout Colt Ford performing in the evening The fair also features rides, a petting zoo, and various games and activities, so bring the whole family and lace up your walking shoes—this fair promises fun from dusk ’til dawn. 9 a.m. – 11 p.m. 2151 N. Main St., Washington.