Cool Picks for Friday June 1, 2012
1) National Doughnut Day tip #1, Dunkin Donuts is giving away a free donut with the purchase of a beverage today!
2) National Doughnut Day tip #2 Krispy Kreme , are there many Krispy Kreme’s left in Pittsburgh, is giving away a free doughnut, no purchase necessary (editor’s note: I don’t know if Prantl’s Bakery is doing anything for Doughnut Day, but their Creme Filled Doughnut will put you in a sugared state of nirvanic bliss!).
3) Take your doughnut sugar buzz down to the opening night of the Three Rivers Arts Festival and dance to one of the coolest reggae bands, the Wailers. The free concert starts at 8 pm.
4) The first Friday of the summer months the Frick Pittsburgh has it’s First Friday’s concerts. Tonight’s featured performers are Matrimony, a rising band out of Charlotte, North Carolina that plays their own musical mix of folk, pop and bluegrass. While there check out the antique cars in their car and carriage museum. The Frick Art Museum is also open. Music, art and antique cars all for a suggested donation per adult of only $5. You can also purchase food and beverages from their cafe which is housed in a quaint cottage on the grounds. Music starts at 7pm. You can also bring your own picnic food.
5) Another great musical performance tonight is by the Grammy winning Tedeschi-Trucks band. Susan Tesdeschi and Derek Trucks are a duo in the band and as a married couple in real life. Their soulful, blues-rock eleven piece band is playing outside at Stage AE this evening with opening act Moon Taxi.