Cool Picks Thursday August 16, 2012
1) The Pirates are seeking revenge for recent bombardments from the L.A Dodgers. They are squaring up the Pirate ship and preparing to open the gun port doors. Hopefully, the Pirates’ gunpowder will ignite and blast the Dodgers back to the West Coast. The Pirates are then on the road and return home next Friday to battle the “Brew Crew.” 4:05 p.m. PNC Park.
2) Today and tomorrow are the last two days to see the Steelers practice at St. Vincent College. Think of it as a cool reality show where the rookies (and some veterans) are desperately working to achieve their dreams of making the Steelers team and playing in the NFL practices start at 3 p.m. Latrobe. Free.
3) The Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre is putting on a “Ballet Under the Stars” production at Allegheny County’s Hartwood Acres Amphitheater. 7:30 p.m. Allison Park. Free.
4) The Pittsburgh Citiparks Mellon Square Summer Concert Series presents Music By Two, with banjo wizard Bela Fleck and stand-up bass maestro Edgar Meyer, 11 a.m-1p.m. Downtown. Free.
5) This could be one of the last weeks before kids go back to school, so here’s one more cool activity to pack into their fun summer. The Carnegie Museum of Natural History’s M is for Museum exhibit. Kids, age 5 to 13-years-old, discover some of the best facets of human culture and nature by the “ABCs.” M is for Museum features multimedia and hands on activites, for example: A is for Artifact; C is for Collect; I is for Identify. R.P. Simmons Family Gallery, Oakland.